Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The interview...part II

The interview part II…

Well that was easy.  Is it a bad thing that I have gotten so good at interviewing?  I feel like I can answer the questions before they even leave the interviewers lips?  Where do I see myself in five years you say? Let me break it down for you.   So anyway, the interview went well, but I am not holding my breath.

One of the questions I was asked is how I would differentiate my classroom?   You see not every student learns the same, and setting up your classroom to compensate for this is extremely important.   This is the first time I have been asked directly about differentiating the classroom.  Normally the question is tied in with a particular subject like math or reading.  This time it was simply stated “how would you differentiate your classroom?”

I was a little taken back by the question, and thus I struggled to come up with an answer.   I stated that I would present my lessons in different forms, each set up for the different styles of learners.  Visual lessons, kinesthetic lessons, and auditory lessons, each “learning style” would be accommodated.   So basically, I just repeated the question. Minus ten points on that one!

You see if it was for a reading lesson I would have answered more in-depth.   I have a prepared answer that basically states that I would have students read aloud in groups, and then I would have the more visual learners draw a picture expressing their comprehension, the auditory learners could express their comprehension vocally, and the kinesthetic learners could act out what the learned.  But for some reason I could not come up with an answer for the entire classroom. 


So I came back and did a little research.  Here is what I SHOULD have said:   “I would first analyze the class; perhaps conduct some informal assessments to gauge levels of comprehension and styles of learning.  Discern which students prefer quiet and lower lighting, and create a section of the classroom for them. Determine which students learn best by hearing information, seeing information and concrete examples, or by moving while learning.” 


Ok, so now I’m ready, bring on the next interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment