Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Scaffolding Teaching Strategies


 
 
So I’m reading “Teach like a Pirate” (good book) and I come to the chapter where the author, Dave Burgess, starts to breakdown his teaching strategies.  The chapter opens with a statement; “you’ve probably learned about scaffolding and SDAIE strategies” (Teach like a Pirate, Dave Burgess).  SRRREEETTTCCCCCHHHH…wait what?  Um no, I have never learned about scaffolding strategies.


This is one thing I am quickly finding out about education, you can (and will) never stop learning.  So I did what any self-respecting teacher would do, and did a Google Search.  I found out that “Scaffolding” is as it sounds; an external structure meant to provide support to the student, and then gradually removed when no longer needed.  There are other names for this strategy, such as Zone of Proximal Development.  ZPD is defined as "the distance between the actual developmental level as determined by independent problem solving and the level of potential development as determined through problem solving under adult guidance, or in collaboration with more capable peers" (Vygotsky, 1978).  Some methods for executing the scaffolding strategy are exploring prior knowledge, time to talk, pre-teaching, using visual aids, pause-ask-pause-review, and show and tell.    

Ok, so now I have some background information, now I can put it into practice. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment